Posts

WATFORD’S ADRIAN MARIAPPA CONFIRMS CORONAVIRUS; N’GOLO KANTE MISSES TRAINING

Image
WATFORD’S ADRIAN MARIAPPA CONFIRMS CORONAVIRUS; N’GOLO KANTE MISSES TRAINING Watford defender Adrian Mariappa says he is one of three people who tested positive for coronavirus at the club. On Tuesday, it was announced there had been six positive tests across three Premier League clubs. Two staff at Watford and Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan also tested positive, while the two others at a third club have not yet been revealed. Chelsea’s N’Golo Kante missed training over coronavirus fears, with the backing of his manager Frank Lampard. Kante’s decision to train at home follows a similar stance by Watford captain Troy Deeney and several of his team-mates. France midfielder Kante returned to Chelsea’s first day of restricted phase one training on Tuesday after a negative coronavirus test, but was given compassionate leave on Wednesday, reported the Telegraph. ‘I FEEL FIT AS EVER’ – MARIAPPA “It was a big surprise because I haven’t really left the house,” Mariappa, 33, said, also spea…

SULTAN COUNTERS GOVERNORS OVER EID-EL FITR PRAYERS

Image
SULTAN COUNTERS GOVERNORS OVER EID-EL FITR PRAYERS There is a disagreement between the Sultan of Sokoto and governors of some states in the north over how weekend’s Eid-el-Fitr prayers should be held. Sultan Sa’ad Abubakar, who is the President-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), has given a directive that Muslims should observe the prayers at home as part of their observance of the COVID-19 protocols and to prevent the spread of the virus. But some of the governors have eased the lockdown, allowing Muslims to observe congregational prayers.
Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje earlier in the week announced that Muslims would be allowed to observe the Jumat prayer tomorrow and the Eid prayers subsequently. On Wednesday, Bauchi State Governor Bala Mohammed announced that Eid prayers would be allowed in the state with participants observing social distancing and wearing face masks Other states like Yobe, Jigawa, Gombe, Borno, and Zamfara have also open…

CHELSEA AND FRANCE STRIKER TO STAY AT STAMFORD BRIDGE NEXT SEASON

Image
CHELSEA AND FRANCE STRIKER TO STAY AT STAMFORD BRIDGE NEXT SEASON Chelsea have extended Olivier Giroud’s contract by 12 months, which means the France striker will be at Stamford Bridge next season. Giroud had made just five Premier League appearances in January and was in the last six months of his contract. But after an injury to fellow Blues striker Tammy Abraham, Giroud, 33, impressed on his return, scoring twice in four league games. “I am delighted to continue my journey and adventure at Chelsea,” Giroud said. “I’m looking forward to wearing the Chelsea shirt again, especially in front of our fans at a full Stamford Bridge, whenever it is safe to do so.” Giroud joined Chelsea from Arsenal in January 2018 and has made 39 starts and 37 substitute appearances, scoring 21 goals. It was Giroud who scored the last goal for Chelsea, before football was postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic, in a 4-0 home win over Everton on 8 March. Blues boss Frank Lampard said: “Since I have…

EDO AND ONDO POLLS TO HOLD – INEC

Image
EDO AND ONDO POLLS TO HOLD – INEC The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said the September 19 and October 10 scheduled dates for the governorship elections in Edo and Ondo states will be met, despite the COVID-19 pandemic. It also said the timetable and schedule of activities for the elections still stand. This was disclosed after a meeting yesterday where a wide range of issues, including the coming governorship outstanding by-elections, were discussed.
A statement by the National Commissioner and Chairman Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, said the commission will issue a policy framework for the engagement of stakeholders tomorrow. The commission restated its resolve to provide the requisite innovation in conducting elections in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, saying it is committed to fulfilling its constitutional responsibility of conducting elections, but without jeopardizing the health and well-being of citizens. Visit obireefe.com …

FC SEOUL FINED 100 MILLION WON FOR SEX DOLLS IN SANDS

Image
FC SEOUL FINED 100 MILLION WON FOR SEX DOLLS IN SANDS A South Korean club has been fined 100 million won (£66,500) by the K-League for filling empty seats with ‘sex dolls’ at their recent home match. FC Seoul put 30 “premium mannequins” in the stands, with fans unable to attend because of coronavirus restrictions. The club said they did not know the dolls were adult products and apologised on Monday. “The incident has greatly insulted and hurt female and family fans,” a K-League statement said. Some of the dolls were holding signs advertising x-rated websites, despite pornography being banned in South Korea. The K-League added that the club had made “a serious mistake” by not removing the dolls before the match. Visit obireefe.com for more stories

MINISTER OF HEALTH TO NIGERIANS: PREPARE FOR THE WORST

Image
MINISTER OF HEALTH TO NIGERIANS: PREPARE FOR THE WORST THE Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, on Tuesday, admonished Nigerians to prepare for the worst, even as the Federal Government assiduously work to curtail the spread of the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. He urged health workers and citizens alike to do their best to learn more about the virus. Speaking during the daily briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, in Abuja, he said: “Yesterday, the President authorised extending easing of restrictions in Lagos, Ogun and FCT by another two weeks. The lockdown in Kano was also extended by two weeks, to address remaining challenges to containing the increasing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases. “It is of great importance that we – members of the health sector and citizens — endeavour to use this period to dedicate efforts to strive for the best, but also prepare for the worst. “As we learn more about coronavirus every day, we must be ready to adjust our strat…

WATFORD AND BURNLEY CONFIRM POSITIVE TESTS

Image
WATFORD AND BURNLEY CONFIRM POSITIVE TESTS One player and two staff at Watford and Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan are among six positive Premier League tests for coronavirus. The other two are at a third club, the details of which have not been revealed. Players and staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for seven days.
It comes as squads started non-contact training on Tuesday, as the Premier League steps up plans for a restart. A total of 748 players and staff from 19 clubs were tested. Norwich City did their tests on Tuesday. Burnley said Woan was “asymptomatic” and “currently safe and well at home”. “He will remain in close communication with club personnel regarding his re-engagement in training once he is clear of the virus,” the club added. Watford confirmed a player and two members of staff had tested positive b

BAUCHI LIFTS BAN ON RELIGIOUS GATHERING

Image
BAUCHI LIFTS BAN ON RELIGIOUS GATHERING Bauchi State Government has lifted the ban on religious gathering in the state, which was initially imposed in April to contain the spread of coronavirus in the state. Nation reports that the development would enable Muslims in the state to celebrate the Eld-di- Fitri celebrations and also attend Friday Jumu’at prayers on Friday. Governor Bala Mohammed made the announcement on Wednesday at a stakeholder meeting held with traditional rulers, religious leaders, and security agencies held at the Banquet Hall, Command Guest House in Bauchi, the state capital. Mohammed said the state relaxed the partial lockdown putting into consideration recent declaration by the World Health Organization (WHO) that the disease may not go soon and the fact that other states in the Northeast have lifted their ban. He, however, said that the lifting of the ban for religious gathering was for two weeks with certain conditions that religious leaders and their followers …

CORONAVIRUS: EUROPEAN COUNTRIES FURTHER RELAX RESTRICTIONS

Image
CORONAVIRUS: EUROPEAN COUNTRIES FURTHER RELAX RESTRICTIONS Italy and Spain are among a number of European countries further easing their coronavirus lockdown restrictions on Monday. Most businesses in Italy, including bars and hairdressers, are reopening after more than two months of nationwide lockdown measures. Spain meanwhile has slightly eased restrictions on some of its least affected islands.
The measures follow consistent drops in the number of daily recorded deaths. On Sunday, Italy recorded the fewest daily deaths since it entered lockdown in March. It said 145 people had died with the virus in the previous 24 hours. This marked a significant drop from its highest daily death toll, which was more than 900 on 27 March. In Spain, the daily death toll fell below 100 for the first time since it imposed its lockdown restrictions.